.::Rezerwa 126p::. Strona Główna .::Rezerwa 126p::.
BEZ KOMUNISTYCZNEJ ADMINISTRACJI

FAQFAQ  SzukajSzukaj  UżytkownicyUżytkownicy  GrupyGrupy  StatystykiStatystyki
RejestracjaRejestracja  ZalogujZaloguj  AlbumStrona główna

Poprzedni temat «» Następny temat
FIAT 126p import to Canada...?
Autor Wiadomość
dagleykd 
Future FIAT owner!

Wysłany: 2015-06-18, 12:40   FIAT 126p import to Canada...?

Hi all!

New member, but a huge FIAT fan for a number of years now!

I'm a recent university grad still looking for a permanent full-time job (education / museum work), but I've always wanted to import a classic FIAT 500 as a "weekend/summer" car. I still love them to death, but lately, the FIAT 126 has risen up as a nice alternative. Yes, the looks are a bit more "chunky" and not as classy, but it would be pretty much the same experience at a cheaper price as they don't seem to be as popular or considered by enthusiasts as often, more of them were built and, as a plus, a lot of the parts are compatible with the 500 and vice versa!

I'd probably go for a later Polish 126p EL/ELX (1994-2000?) just to get some amenities like an engine already built for unleaded gas, an electric blower fan for the heater (Canadian Fall seasons can still be pretty chilly!) and rear fog/reverse lights. A rear window defrost would be nice too, although I wouldn't be THAT upset without it!

Just posting this as a "feeler".....it will be awhile before I am able to buy one, but I would hate to have to buy sight unseen. Are there any export or import companies out there that could ever look at potential purchases for me and do imports / exports to Canada? I wouldn't want to have a car arrive that looked good online and was a basket-case when it got here! I wouldn't mind if the paint was faded...it could always be relatively easily repainted later, I just would want it to be solid with little to no rust and to be a good driver. Also, considering shipping costs wouldn't be cheap from Europe to Canada, hopefully one that was reasonable in terms of price!

Any comments / suggestions / ideas would be helpful! Cheers and thanks for letting me join the community!

Pan_Waclaw 

Wysłany: 2015-06-18, 23:03   

Hello, nice to write with someone from Canada about our little lovely cars :)

I can't help with transporting this stuff to Canada, but I see that you have some wrong information about 126.

Cytat:
I'd probably go for a later Polish 126p EL/ELX (1994-2000?) just to get some amenities like an engine already built for unleaded gas, an electric blower fan for the heater (Canadian Fall seasons can still be pretty chilly!) and rear fog/reverse lights. A rear window defrost would be nice too, although I wouldn't be THAT upset without it!

You don't have to look for EL/ELX to run on unleaded gas. It also can be FL or any other 126 with 650 engine. All you need to change is engine head, but you don't have do that if you'll use a special gas additive, which is propably avaliable on Canadian market, because lots of classic cars need this. But some people in Poland use old 126 engines and don't care about it. If this car is going to be used only from time to time it shouldn't be a problem.

Another thing is the electric blower. It doesn't blow warm air! All the heat comes from the engine, and that heat is blown by fan that is in the engine, the same that cools it. So every 126, even the very first model have the same heating as the last ones. The blower that is in the trunk was designed to remove steam from the front window. It's a gadget that appeared in 1985 model. Same with the fog/reverse lights - also avaliable in FL model (1985-1994), but also in some STs. Rear window defrost was optional even in earlier models. Only differences between EL/ELX and FL are visual, except electronic ignition (nanoplex), but this can also be installed in earlier models. The other thing is that classic ignition system works very well if it's in good condition, so it's not something that makes the car not usable.

If I can suggest something - you should look for late ST or any FL model that is in well condition and not modified. EL/ELX doesn't look cool, and they are totally not vintage. 126s from 70's are quite expensive, same with well-kept or renovated ST-s. These are classic cars. FL is between, it's not classic, more like youngtimer and they are getting more expensive in Poland now. But EL/ELX are still cheap and very often in terrible condition. Of course, I believe that any 126 would make people in Canada like "WOW WHAT IS THIS", but you should really look for older 126 to make them even more impressed :)

dagleykd 
Future FIAT owner!

Wysłany: 2015-06-18, 23:37   

Thanks for your response! I am one of very few people that even know what they are here in Canada I would think, haha! :D I've always had a quirky taste in cars, and the old FIAT 500 and FIAT 126 are some of my favorites along with the Citroen 2CV and Trabant! :P

An old 500 would be my first choice, but they are getting quite expensive now, which is why the 126 has grown on me - I probably like them just as much now! :)

Ah, I see, so the blower is just to help with defrosting the windshield...still useful here in Canada on chilly mornings, haha! :)

I wouldn't REALLY mind using the gas additive in a non-unleaded engine, but it would be much easier to have one that I could just pull up to the pumps with, fill away and drive off without any added fuss. Adding an unleaded head to a non-unleaded engine would be fine, but a bit of an extra cost...my budget will not be terribly high, unfortunately! :(

I would probably try to drive the car quite often as I would have fun with it...after all, cars are meant to be used and not always cooped up except for special occasions! ;) :P

I know the FL came with the rear foglamp and reverse light as well - the reason I was leaning towards a later EL/ELX was that I assumed they would be in the best shape. They are the youngest, so I thought they would have had less time to form rust issues...?

I wouldn't mind having the older non-electronic ignition system either, but the later electronic system gets better fuel economy and makes starting the car a little easier, doesn't it?

I'm not too worried about how "vintage" the car looks, so I would be just as happy with a later EL/ELX as with an earlier FL - the 126s looked pretty much the same throughout the years minus the little interior changes, slight bodywork changes and the bumpers for the most part, so they all look somewhat "vintage" to me considering the basic design didn't change since the '70s! :)

If I were looking to import one from Poland, how much would an unmodified FL, EL or ELX in good shape cost to buy there?

Pan_Waclaw 

Wysłany: 2015-06-19, 00:12   

The serial number of the engine that was prepared for unleaded gas is known and can be found in books or Internet. It was made in 1992, so all the FL-s from 1993 will be fine, some 1992 as well. But think about it - cost of the cylinder head in good condition is not very big (100-150PLN) and it's not difficult to change it. If you think about moving 126 from Poland to Canada, you should make a contact with someone who knows these cars. He would know if the engine is ready for unleaded fuel, and if it's not, he should find other head and change it. I wouldn't be worried about this at all.

ELX are actually the youngest, but remember that these are at least over 15-years old cars. Some German cars are peace of crap after so many years, so what do you expect from Polish made car :D But seriously - EL/ELX have problems with rust, there is a common opinion in Poland that they go rusty faster than older 126. But of course it's possible to find it in good shape. It's like a lottery.

dagleykd napisał/a:
I wouldn't mind having the older non-electronic ignition system either, but the later electronic system gets better fuel economy and makes starting the car a little easier, doesn't it?

The difference is very slight and even hardly seen if we're comparing "nanoplex" with classic distributor in good condition. I've made a few thousand km with distributor and had completely no problems at all.

dagleykd napisał/a:
If I were looking to import one from Poland, how much would an unmodified FL, EL or ELX in good shape cost to buy there?

Well, 1 CAD is 3 PLN now, so in your money it will be around 700-1500$ for the car if we're talking about nice ST or FL. EL/ELX are not worth that much - 500$ is max for a car in good condition.

dagleykd 
Future FIAT owner!

Wysłany: 2015-06-19, 00:47   

The serial number of the engine that was prepared for unleaded gas is known and can be found in books or Internet. It was made in 1992, so all the FL-s from 1993 will be fine, some 1992 as well. But think about it - cost of the cylinder head in good condition is not very big (100-150PLN) and it's not difficult to change it. If you think about moving 126 from Poland to Canada, you should make a contact with someone who knows these cars. He would know if the engine is ready for unleaded fuel, and if it's not, he should find other head and change it. I wouldn't be worried about this at all.

I'm not too worried about it, the tricky part for me being way over here in Canada is that I don't know who to contact when the time comes to look for one to buy, haha! :) I would love to have somebody be able to look over the car for me and make sure it didn't have any problems before it was loaded on the boat and sent over!

Haha, oh, I know ANY car can go wrong after 15 years! :D I also know the 126 is a pretty simple car and that it is not very complicated in terms of electrics or mechanics, so the biggest issue with them would be rust. If I could find an older car with no rust issues that wasn't too expensive, I would be just as happy! :D

Thanks for your opinion on the distributor! I don't think I would mind having a car with a distributor rather than Nanoplex...part of me preferring Nanoplex is just coming from the fact that I am not very mechanically skilled :oops: , so I was just thinking to myself that the distributor/points would be one more thing to worry about taking care of. I know what all the parts of cars do and how they work, I just haven't ever really had the chance to work on them myself...my 126 when I get it would be a fun car for me to drive, but it would also be the first car I would want to actually tinker with using my own tools because of how simple they are! :) Hell, I could probably do the head swap if I had to...I have many downloads of Service Manuals for the car, I would just need the right tools to do it, some patience, and a bit of bravery! ;)

$1500 is certainly pretty reasonable for me to buy one if it was in pretty good shape...shipping would be the costly part of the whole ordeal. I know to ship a car from Japan all the way to Nova Scotia on the east coast of Canada where I live costs something like $1500 CDN on it's own, so I would think shipping from Poland would be a little cheaper. I don't know how much it would cost for an export broker there who would help me find a decent car and help deal with the paperwork though (if such people even exist in Poland, haha! - I know not many cars are shipped out! :P )

Pan_Waclaw 

Wysłany: 2015-06-20, 13:03   

I'm trying to do something for you, but I don't promise it will help. I made a topic for other members who maybe missed this one or don't read in English. It's here - http://rezerwa126p.pl/for...p=416832#416832 . I'm just trying to see if there is anyone intrested in helping you finding and sending 126 to Canada. I would really love to do it for you, but I won't make it alone - I'm just not capable for that kind of work. But maybe we'll figure out something. Stay tuned :)

Did you try posting that announcement on other Polish boards?
Ostatnio zmieniony przez Pan_Waclaw 2015-06-20, 14:04, w całości zmieniany 4 razy  

dagleykd 
Future FIAT owner!

Wysłany: 2015-06-20, 13:29   

Thanks Pan!

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to import one right now (still trying to find a job right now, I'm a recent university graduate as a teacher and full-time teaching jobs are hard to find here at the moment...the provincial government cutting the budget doesn't help!), but it would be great to have some help in the future when I do! :)

Very kind of you! I haven't posted on any other Polish forums, but I did post on FiatForum...nobody ever responded to me at all there and it's been a week! :/

Domage 
ziomy rezerwy
buh

Wysłany: 2015-06-20, 15:54   

You should talk with Hiob (he's from USA), he ship maluch to US, last year.
Give your price, and we will find you Maluch. Best option is to buy from some enthusiast.
Buying on site's like allegro.pl, or olx.pl,is mostly buying pig in a poke,and price's not always goin pair with quality.
And best option for you is to let someone do maintance here in poland, and ship it with spare parts inside, to you.
I did same thing with maluch, when i sell it to Finland.

BTW As far as i know container from USA to Poland cost around 1000$. Maluch is so small, that maybe it will cost less. Maybe you buy two of them, and one sell in Canada ? I'm not sure if anyone would want to buy maluch there, but maybe it will reduce cost, or even give you some wage?

Pussy Wagon

dagleykd 
Future FIAT owner!

Wysłany: 2015-06-21, 02:36   

Thanks Domage!

I have no price to give just yet - like I said, I'm sadly looking for a full-time job right now and don't have the money or garage to get a 126 yet, but I wanted to find help and get information for when the time comes that I am ready to import one! :) It could be several months, or even a year before I am ready :cry:

Oh! I remember Hiob - I've found his Youtube channel during my web searches and watched all his 126 videos (although I don't understand Polish, haha!) and I've seen him mentioned on other forums! :P It would be very kind of him (and you guys!) to help me when the time comes!

I had a fellow on Jalopnik from Opposite Lock suggest that I look at the Otomoto.pl site if I was interested in looking for a Maluch to buy (he's also the one who suggested I post here on your boards!). He lives in Poland and goes by the nickname Borsuq (I see he has an account here) and he recently bought a newer (1999) Maluch Town ELX that he has been restoring and posting a blog about on Oppo.

You don't think there is a point to looking on those sites Domage? I spent a few hours looking just for fun the other day and found quite a few that seemed a little suspicious, but some that looked quite decent. I imagine enthusiasts like you guys would know more than a newbie like me though, so when the time comes, your help will be greatly appreciated! :D I'm not too worried about what color it is as long as it's a stock, factory color and it's not that terrible shade of purple! ;)

Hmmm....$1000 for a container to the US isn't too bad - I wonder what port Hiob had his sent to? I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, which is technically CLOSER than the US as we're a peninsula sticking out into the ocean here ;) , so maybe it would even be a little cheaper for me? I've thought about doing RoRo, but I am part of a Japanese car forum as well and one of their owners just had a mini-truck shipped from Japan and had a very bad experience where somebody stole the mirrors and drivers side INTERIOR door handle from their truck during shipping, plus it ended up getting scratches and dents, so RoRo doesn't sound very safe!

dagleykd 
Future FIAT owner!

Wysłany: 2015-06-22, 02:37   

Ok, so, I was looking around on Flickr at some FIAT 126 pictures for fun and noticed a number of them painted in a lovely shade of light blue - I would love to know what that color is as I would love to import one in that color to Canada when I eventually get enough money! The color in question is this one: https://www.flickr.com/ph...on/18701243719/

Is this a rare color that is hard to find? :)

ignac2004 
warsztatowy

Wysłany: 2015-06-22, 05:48   

Hi! That color is called: "Turchesse Farfalla". It's really hard to find. I think, it will be easier to find in Italy, because it wasn't a popular color here in Poland (I mean in 70's). Now, a lot of Poles love it, because Fiat looks cute.... like a toy :)
If You have planned a restoration in a future, you can always change a color if you want :)
Check this!

126p 600 '76 vel. Beż
WSS Polsport GK-110 '80 - przyczepka namiotowa
125p 1.5C '83 vel. Marian
126p 650 '88 vel. ZOMO
Niewiadów N126-E '89 vel. Kawalerka
126p 650 '90 vel. Mydelniczka2
Nuova Bravo 1.9JTD 2007 vel.Bravo JA >180km+ :twisted:

dagleykd 
Future FIAT owner!

Wysłany: 2015-06-22, 12:27   

Hmmm....just found this section of your website, is this shade of the blue the same color as Azzuro Amalfi on the 126 EL/ELX?

http://rezerwa126p.pl/kol...own-i-happy-end

I would be happy with either! :D

ignac2004 
warsztatowy

Wysłany: 2015-06-22, 12:50   

No no, Azzuro Amalfi is quite different. Azzurro is a shade of the Blue, but Turchesse looks like Turquoise or Aqua :mrgreen: It is hard to explain :mrgreen:

dagleykd napisał/a:
I would be happy with either!

Thats right! I have 3 another types, and it doesn't matter which one im driving. It always makes me happy :mrgreen:

126p 600 '76 vel. Beż
WSS Polsport GK-110 '80 - przyczepka namiotowa
125p 1.5C '83 vel. Marian
126p 650 '88 vel. ZOMO
Niewiadów N126-E '89 vel. Kawalerka
126p 650 '90 vel. Mydelniczka2
Nuova Bravo 1.9JTD 2007 vel.Bravo JA >180km+ :twisted:

dagleykd 
Future FIAT owner!

Wysłany: 2015-06-22, 12:56   

Haha, they look almost the same to me (at least in those pictures! :P )! Was Azzuro Amalfi a popular color?

I've just always liked really light shades of blue! :D If I could not get one in that color though, I would still be happy - it would be fun whichever I am driving! :)

Odpowiedz do tematu